The Perfect Skin Care Routine
Skin care. A foreign topic for a lot of men out there, but really should be an essential part of your daily grooming. Arguably one of (if not the most) important part of your grooming is skincare, so having a routine is a must.
Before we delve into the nitty-gritty, if your perception of skin care is some mystical, intricate, scientific art that's esoteric, then we're here to let you know...it's really not that complicated.
There are three essential parts to any mans skin care, Cleansing, Exfoliating and Moisturising (all that other stuff you see are just complimentary).
Why Skin Care Routines are Important
We get it, a skin care routine, who has time for that. Trust us it's not as time-consuming as it sounds. It might take up 2 minutes of your day and after all, it will combat your issues of acne, wrinkles, sun damage and any blemishes, all while making that pretty face of yours beam.
Skin care is just as much a marathon as it is a sprint so take action now and avoid the curse of looking too old for your age and carry the blessing of youth.
Now onto the routine...
Daily Cleanser: The most fundamental part of your routine, a daily cleanser is the foundation for clean skin and is the first step to your skin care routine. cleansing removes any grime, dirt and impurities picked up throughout the day and while you're asleep, as well as ridding any sebum your skin produces.
cleansing should be done twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, and It's not good enough to just grab whatever soap you can find and wash your face. You should invest in a good quality face cleanser, that way you know you're giving your skin the best care it deserves.
Our recommendation: Lucky Tiger Liquid Face Wash
Exfoliate: Exfoliating is an essential part of your skin care routine as it removes sebum and dead skin cells, allowing healthy ones to thrive on the surface. It penetrates unhealthy pores, unclogging them an preventing breakouts as well as brightening your complexion and decreasing your wrinkles.
Dead skin cells don't regenerate that fast, so to avoid any abrasion only exfoliate 2-3 times a week.
Our Recommendation: Anthony Facial Scrub
Moisturiser: Moisturising is vital, and is the last part of your 3-step skin care routine. A lot of moisture can be lost when cleansing and exfoliating, moisturising replenishes that by hydrating your skin. As well as this, moisturiser provides the skin with necessary vitamins and nutrients and creates a protective barrier on the skin, which helps keep out bacteria and dirt from clogging up your pores.
Moisturiser should be lightly applied twice a day (once if you have oily skin as it can exacerbate oiliness and breakouts). Look for something that's light and contains SPF, so you're protected and it doesn't feel like you have grease on your face all day.
Our Recommendation: Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturiser SPF15
Once you see the results, you're probably going to be left wanting more. so here are some other additions (that aren't necessary, but will do you the world of wonder) to add to your skin routine.
- Eye Cream: Eye Cream is the ultimate anti-ageing product. It reduces puffiness and wrinkled skin under your eyes, making you look younger.
Our Recommendation: MenScience Eye Rescue Formula
- Face Mask: Face Masks are a great way to achieve healthier-looking skin. With the right face mask, you can hydrate your skin, remove excess oils and improve the appearance of your pores.
Our Recommendation: OMG Man In Black Peel Off Mask Kit
- Toner: Use before applying moisturiser, a face toner is a great way to correct and control the Ph of your skin. Extremely beneficial for acne-prone skin, a face toner removes excess dirt and oil only making your skin healthier.
Our Recommendation: MenScience Advanced Face Tonic
- Lip Balm: Lip Balms provide a protective layer on your lips that seal in moisture and fight against external exposure. Conditions such as cold temperatures, dry air and winds which all serve to make your lips dry are countered when lip balm is applied.
Our Recommendation: Lucky Tiger Peppermint Lib Balm
- Hand cream: Hand cream serves to restore damaged hands and keep them soft and supple. they provide moisture to your hands making them look younger and preventing chapping, cracking and chafing.
Our Recommendation: Baxter Of California Hydro Salve Hand Cream
Skin care Tips
- Earlier the better: Many people look to skincare too late, when they see their first wrinkle or notice their first crease on the corner of their eye. The truth is the best result's come from prevention and when it comes to skincare, the earlier the better.
- Don't Pop Zits: We know, "cliché", but it'll only make them red, inflame them and lead to scars. (if you really can't control yourself, at least wash your hands and use a tissue)
- Clean Pillowcases: This is an important one. Your pillowcases collect dust and other particles throughout the day, and ultimately any dirt on them will be transmitted onto your face while you sleep. So make sure you wash your pillowcases often.
- Face Brushes: Use all the help you can get. Having a face brush (spinner) will make sure you don't miss a spot, giving your skin the deep cleanse it craves.
- Water: If you aren't already you should be drinking at least 2L of water a day. Drinking water hydrates your skin and can clear acne, improve complexion, decrease wrinkles and more. Besides, there's a lot more benefits to drinking water than just clearer skin.
- Use SPF: Using an SPF cream or moisturiser is important because it protects you from sun damage and skin cancer. SPF isn't just something to take with you on holidays but should be used daily.
- Don't Touch Your Face: It's simple, your hands are exposed to all types of germs throughout the day, touching your face only transports those germs.
Skin care is something to take advantage of and we hope that now you can build off of this routine and have your skin looking clearer and healthier than ever.